>Thanks, Rich,

I''m happy to help.

> If I use BLOB, I have to make a lot of change to my code. Therefore, I have
> to persist it as String. I used base64 to encode and decode the byte[] into
> String. Because I resize the images to small ones. I use a VARCHAR length
> about 10k~20k to persist the String.

Thats fine, if you don't want to do a hugh code change then keep it the same

> "How often do you need to load all 300 images?  If it is forum style I
> would imangine a limited number of posting per page say max 20.  So
> the would be a maximum of 20 images per page load."
> If this is true, which method is the best among the above three?

Which method is 'best' depends on what you want. For fast access and
low memory - persist to hard drive

> "If you must use the least amount of memory as possible, persist the
> images to the hard drive and store the file reference to the url in
> the database.  "
> If I want to persist images to the hard drive of server. Shall I persist the
> data inside WAR or outside? Because user can change their portrait, does it
> mean it must be persisted outside WAR?

No just make a base dir in your app called 'userAvatar' or something
similar.  Then persist the image as user_xxxx.gif (xxxx = the user
id).  When they chage their image override the file.

Also as stated by Pawel, make sure you have a performance problem
before you try to solve a performance problem.