Well I found 2 ways to assign an action's property to a JSP variable in a
scriptlet:

Solution 1: Set property as an attribute

JSP:
<s:set scope="request" var="prodType" value="productType"/>
<%
String myProductType = request.getAttribute("prodType")
%>

This takes the action's productType property and stores it as an attribute
called prodType in the request scope.  Then in the scriptlet I get
attribute and assign it to my variable.

Solution 2: Access the action object and call the getter method directly:

JSP:
<%
com.opensymphony.xwork2.ognl.OgnlValueStack stack =
(com.opensymphony.xwork2.ognl.OgnlValueStack)request.getAttribute("struts.valueStack");

ProducTypeAction action = (ProductTypeAction)stack.findValue("action");

String myProductType = action.getProductType();

%>

If oneone has a more elegant solution could you post it.
Thanks.
Graham