you are confusing static parameters with request parameters. You *do
not* need to add "param" to your action mapping to get the parameters
bound the class fields. You add "param" to your action mapping to
"inject" things into your action, IoC style, but is is not needed for
request parameters. So if you have something like:

 <param name="cmd">bbbb</param>

and you call the action like /action?cmd=aaa, then setCmd(...) will be
called 2 times, one for the static param("bbb"), and another time for
the request param ("aaa").

musachy