(Seems like I just answered this question... but here it is again this
time for Dates)

In my experience it's better to define number (and time) input fields
as String and perform the conversion and validation in your action
using java.text.NumberFormat (and java.text.DateFormat).  This puts
you in control of the
process and let's you handle I18N issues that way you want to without
fighting Struts.

I typically have a couple of helper methods I put into the base Action
class that simplify getting the users Locale and DateFormat.
Depending on the app the users Locale may come from a Login object or
the browser request (which Struts can retrieve) or from a cookie.