Hi Stephane,
personally i would do it with div managed by jquery,
this div can be result of search action displayed by one or many jsp's.
So it would like this:
user clicks somewhere on the page to search,
div shows up with empty result and search text field,
user writes some text in search text field,
div feches search action by ajax and shows the results,
if user clicks on any of the results it fires some kind of event that
can select it or find on a page or whatever one need.

Best greetings,
Pawel Wielgus.