Hi Colm,
I tried to inspect the latest fixes but I didn't find something related
to performance or deadlock.
I have some more questions:
1) At the end of the creation process, users have been stored
internally?
2) Could you provide the average time required for an user creation?
 And for an user search?
It could be better to test 2) both with and without the cluster.
Anyway, my suggestion is to upgrade Syncope to 1.2.8-SNAPSHOT version
and start again with the import.
Best Regards,
--
Giacomo Lamonaco