Thank you all, I have a bit more information.  It isn't working perfectly
yet but I am pretty close.  The issue that I was having before appeared to
be related to running postgres as a statefulset in K8s (mulitple pods
working together) and setting up postgres with a master--> Slave model.

I was able to get syncope running just fine if I had a single primary
database.   This is a good sign but not good enough for an actual
production install.  There were two main issues:

   1. No backups or replication which isn't realistic for a production
   install
   2. For some reason, if I do manually scale up (or restart) the database
   then Syncope (and also console and enduser) crashes and burns.   I had to
   restart them as well for it to pick up the new database.   This is
   obviously an untenable solution as K8s is built around the idea of
   ephemeral pods.
   3. Syncope is very slow and a bit of a memory hog - I had to throw a
   bunch of memory and CPU at it to get it to be performant.  Not a big deal
   but certainly not ideal to have such large docker containers.

None the less, I appear to be making progress.   Any ideas would be helpful
but I will keep on pushing.   I do have a holiday starting tomorrow so it
will be a couple weeks before I can pick this back up.

Thank you all for your help so far.

Craig