This will require a change in Hive/Pig and a modification to the Tez UI.

For every vertex, there is a ProcessorDescriptor. This supports a
setHistoryText API.

/**
 * Provide a human-readable version of the user payload that can be
 * used in the TEZ UI
 * @param historyText History text
 * For better support in the UI, the history text should be a json-encoded
string.
 * The following keys in the json object will be recognized:
 *    "desc" : A string-value describing the entity
 *    "config" : A key-value map to represent configuration
 * @return this object for further chained method calls
 */
public T setHistoryText(String historyText)

The “desc” from above can be used to store the list of operators, query
fragment being processed in the particular vertex.

To start with, you can file a jira for Hive to add this information as well
file a jira for this to be displayed in the Tez UI. Also, if you are looking to
learn about either Hive or Tez, these jiras
might be a good starting point for your first patch contribution.

If you are looking to do this manually, you can run an explain on your query
which should set some light on what processing is being done in which vertex.
For more details on this, you should ask on the hive user list.

thanks
— Hitesh