I have some questions about how exceptions are handled in thrift
because it seems to be inconsistent across different languages.

The way I see it there are two kinds of exceptions that should be
thrown when a client makes a call:

1. The service itself throws an exception that was generated for that service
2. The thrift application had an error and throws an exception

It seems that the TApplicationException was designed to handle the
second case. Also all exceptions thrown should inherit one common
exception so that they can easily be caught in the client application.

Currently java is different from many of the other languages. The
generated exceptions from java inherit from the base Exception class
while in C++,Python,PHP, JS and possible others extend TException. Is
there a specific reason that the Java exceptions are different?

If this is a bug I will gladly add it to JIRA and submit a patch.

Nathaniel Cook