On Thu, 14 Sep 2017, Robert Munteanu wrote:
One of the issues that came up is that tika-core has a dependency on
JAXB [1]. The javax.xml.bind packages are no longer part of the java.se
module, and therefore not available by default on the module path. The
issue can be triggered with a simple invocation of tika-app on Java 9

Is there a recommended way to replace JAXB that still works on older versions of Java?

Is there interest in making Tika work on Java 9 without the need to use
the '--add-modules' switch? That would entail just removing the
java.xml.bind dependencies ; for tika-core and tika-parsers all the
dependencies are contained in java.se .

Given that there is interest, what would be the preferred solution and
the plans for a next release? I might be able to provide a patch if
it's not too invasive.

If you can think of a way to re-do the XML parsing in the Tika Config classes, such that they still work on Java 7+, but also work OOTB on Java 9, we'd love a patch!

If not, if you could find some guideance online for how to migrate JAXB-using code to work with both Java 9 and 7+, we can take a look at some point

Thanks
Nick