The CAS doesn't natively support hash maps.  One possible motivation is that the
design was aimed at allowing multiple independent systems to process the CAS
data, including Annotators written in C++.  To support this, it would be
necessary to implement a common hash map in multiple languages (Java, C++,
Python, Perl, etc.),  which wasn't done.

Richard's suggestion is a possibility, though.  The other thing that people
sometimes do is to store map data in external resources, which can be shared
among co-located Annotators (running in the same JVM).

-Marshall