This warning

WARN  Transport                      - Transport Connection to: tcp://
127.0.0.1:56261 failed: java.io.EOFException

is from brokers log or console I suspect. It just means that the broker
lost a connection to a client. Looks like the client
went away without closing a connection. This is probably a side-effect of
NPE.

Is the NPE repeatable? Does it happen each time you run this test? Looking
for a hint if there is a race
condition in the UIMA-AS code.