Does the UIMA Java framework support modifying or extend the java class
generated by JCasGen corresponding to a custom Type?   If so, are there any
common circumstances where this is necessary?

I didn’t see anything in the examples or documentation about modifying the
generated classes, but I also didn’t see anything saying you couldn’t.  I
suspect that this is not supported (and that otherwise you wouldn’t be able to
pass a CAS between distributed UIMA AS components, or between a Java annotator
and a C++ one).  But it would be nice to know for certain.

The reason I ask is that the set of data structures supported by UIMA types
(individual FS references,  FSList linked lists, and FSArray arrays) is fairly
limited compared to modern programming languages, which often directly support
associative arrays, trees, and graphs.  I’m trying to understand whether this
is a restriction on the implementation of custom types (which it would be if
modifying/extending the generated class was not supported), or just on the
public interface accessible via the UIMA API.

David