Ok, there's a really simple explanation :-).

UIMA **Version 3** changes how JCas classes are built and used.

You have to "match" the version of UIMA you install into Eclipse with the
version of UIMA you are using, where the match means running v2 with Eclipse v2
things, and v3 with Eclipse v3 things.
In your case, the version installed into Eclipse is a version 2, so it generates
JCas classes suitable for version 2 of UIMA.  These are incompatible with UIMA
version 3.

To fix this situation, I would recommend you change your running environment run
with the most recent production level of UIMA, which is version 2.10.1.

Or, if you're interested in trying out version 3, you should install the version
3.0.0-alpha02 version of the Eclipse plugins.  These are available at
http://www.apache.org/dist/uima/eclipse-update-site/uimaj-v3-pre-production/ .
The last part of the name (uimaj-v3-pre-production) is there to remind you that
you're using an "alpha", pre-production level of the code.  We are working to
release version 3 as a normal level, soon (I hope before the end of the year).

Thank you for your interest!

-Marshall