I see.
A good way to achieve this is to use the ruta-maven-plugin (which requires that
you use maven for your project...). An introduction is given in the Ruta
reference guide, here :
https://uima.apache.org/d/ruta-current/tools.ruta.book.html#ugr.tools.ruta.maven
Then integrate the jcasgen-maven-plugin (see
https://uima.apache.org/d/uimaj-2.6.0/tools.html#ugr.tools.jcasgen.maven_plugin)

The ruta-maven-plugin will create the typesystems for all DECLAREd types in
your scripts (it can also compile txt resources into twl).
jcasgen-maven-plugin will generate Java classes for all types found in the
typesystems (including those built by ruta-maven-plugin). You don’t need it if
you don’t want to manipulate annotation as classes from within your Java app.

I also use UimaFit to integrate the Ruta engine to my Java sources.

You can then do something like this to get your XMI files (not tested):

JCas jCas = JCasFactory.createJCas();
jCas.setDocumentText(« this is a text to be parsed »);
SimplePipeline.runPipeline(jCas,
        AnalysisEngineFactory.createEngineDescription(RutaEngine.class,
RutaEngine.PARAM_MAIN_SCRIPT, « my.main.script »),
        AnalysisEngineFactory.createEngine(XMIWriter.class,
XMIWriter.PARAM_OUTPUT, « /path/to/xmi/« ));

Hope this helps,

— Hugues

Hugues de Mazancourt
http://www.mazancourt.com