What is the best practice for passing runtime meta-data about the analysis to
individual annotators when running UIMA-AS or UIMA-DUCC services? An example
would be  a database identifier for an analysis of many documents. I can't pass
this in as parameters to the aggregate analysis engine running as a service,
because I don't know what that identifier is until runtime (when the
application calls the service).

I used to put such information in the JCas, having the CollectionReader
implementation do all this work. But I am striving to have a more lightweight
CollectionReader... The application can obviously write metadata to a database
or other shared resource, but then it becomes incumbent on the AnalysisEngine
to access that shared resources over the network (slow).

Any advice appreciated,

 -John