I am trying to pass parameter values to an annotator I am writing. This is
something I have done in the past, but for the life of me, I can't get it
to work now. No matter what I do, it seems the parameter stay at their
default values, and the values I pass when creating the engine description
get ignored.

Attached is a simple class that shows how I go about defining the
parameters. As far as I can tell, I am exactly following the documentation
(Section 2.2):

https://uima.apache.org/d/uimafit-current/tools.uimafit.book.html

yet, when I run the class as a main(), I get the output below.

Running a DummyAnnotator

-- DummyAnnotator.process: stringParam=null

  ** HOW COME THIS PARAMETER IS null???

DONE: Running a DummyAnnotator