On 09/26/2011 10:56 AM, Nathan Bubna wrote:
Definitely for a question for the Nutch or Solr lists.  Velocity is a
simple template engine and knows nothing about Nutch or Solr that it
isn't "told" about.

Indeed, Velocity is a very simple template engine, with no smart APIs provided by the engine alone. What you need to do is to put in the context some data objects holding the instance data you're currently processing (or even just the servlet request and response objects to get access to the request parameters), and some smart objects that can contact Solr, Nutch and your other nonSolr services. You'd have to write these yourself in Java, and put instances in the velocity context before parsing.

Another approach is to put enough low level services to allow you to implement the whole logic inside a Velocity template, like a HTTP client, XML processing library, the escape tool, etc.