> I would like to know if it is possible to create lightweight Web pages with
> Velocity, in Tomcat, without resorting to servlets, JSP, etc.

I’m am using a custom server built in java using apache http-core, no J2EE at
all -  just a plain old web server and using velocity built into a couple of
existing Java apps.

So yes this is definintely possible. While some of the accompanying libraries
in the velocity bundle are J2EE servlet specific, there is nothing requiring
this in the core engine. In fact I found the degree of control you have over
management of contexts makes it a very nice fit in my environment and easy to
work with after a thorough read of the docs.

Regards,
David