I looked at the code, and, well, it looks like the strict mode is ... rather strict. Even quiet references will throw an exception if you try to access a property on a null object.

The only thing you can do to circumvent the exception is wrapping the property use in #if() statements :

    #if($nullobj) $nullobj.someProp #end

  Claude