Hi (included dev list as this may be too in depth for the user list)

I'm using XmlBeans 2.3.0 in a Weblogic 9.2 J2EE web application (JVM
1.5.0_10). We use XmlBeans to compile our schema and these effectively
become our domain objects. These are looked up from the DB, stored in
the Http Session, manipulated from the UI and passed to the DB again.

The application appears to run fine with a single user, however when we
test it with multiple users using LoadRunner, we hit issues.

What we are seeing is that we're getting stuck threads with the
following stack:

at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)

- waiting on <0xd4a816e8> (a org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.common.Mutex)

at java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:474)

at org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.common.Mutex.acquire(Mutex.java:33)

- locked <0xd4a816e8> (a org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.common.Mutex)

at
org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.common.GlobalLock.acquire(GlobalLock.java:27)

at
org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.values.XmlObjectBase.set(XmlObjectBase.java:194
4)

at ...MyClassImpl.setMyValue(...)

Can anyone shed any light on why this may happen?

More specifically, does anyone know what the synchronisation strategy is
in XmlBeans. From my investigation, the GlobalLock uses a static Mutex,
which means that if an instance needs to take out more than 1 lock, it
attempts to acquire a GlobalLock and will subsequently lock out all
other threads in the JVM from making any changes to an XmlObject.

If that's the case, it seems very strange that making an update to 1
instance of an XmlObject would lock out all other threads form updating
any other instance of an XmlObject. I would have thought that the
synchronisation would have solely been around the instance itself.

We have also seen the same issues that have been recorded here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XMLBEANS-328

Any help on this would be much appreciated as it's causing major
issues!!

Thanks

Paul

This message should be regarded as confidential. If you have received this
email in error please notify the sender and destroy it immediately.
Statements of intent shall only become binding when confirmed in hard copy by
an authorised signatory.  The contents of this email may relate to dealings
with other companies within the Detica Group plc group of companies.

Detica Limited is registered in England under No: 1337451.

Registered offices: Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7YP, England.