I've been using scomp successfully for years (currently XMLBeans 2.4.0).

Recently I got the following error:

  $ scomp -d genDir -src genDir -javasource 1.5 -out my.jar my.xsd
my.xsdconfig
  {...snip...}
  [ERROR] java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException:
  org.apache.ws.commons.schema.XmlSchemaException:
  Server returned HTTP response code: 503 for URL:
http://www.w3.org/2001/xml.xsd

Why was/is scomp trying to retrieve http://www.w3.org/2001/xml.xsd?

According to the scomp help, scomp should never try to download anything
over
the network unless you explicitly set -dl option:
    -dl - permit network downloads for imports and includes (default is
off)

I'm *NOT* using the -dl switch, so why was/is scomp trying to download
this file?

Fortunately, the web server at http://www.w3.org stopped returning 503,
and my
builds now work again.  But I don't want to be dependent on internet
resources at
build time.   Why was/is scomp trying to fetch any remote resource
without
the -dl option set?

-- Jeff

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this message may be
privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, or
responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, any review,
forwarding, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication or any
attachment(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in
error, please notify the sender immediately, and delete it and all attachments
from your computer and network.