Say, if a ZooKeeper server lost connection with the quorum. It will shutdown
all the services and try to join the quorum by starting internal election algo.
There is a special type of "read-only" server, on connection lost, it will
automatically transition to r-o mode and serve only the requests from r-o
client. Please visit http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/trunk/zookeeperAdmin.html
for more details about r-o feature.

There is a typical 'Observer' server mode which will act as an observer and
only syncup data with the Leader server, but I'm not really sure whether it
will work along with Standalone server. I haven't tried yet, probably you can
do a try http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.5.0-alpha/zookeeperObservers.html

To begin with, you can run both as Participant and later if you want to change
servers you can use reconfig feature,
http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/trunk/zookeeperReconfig.html
In 1+1 deployment, tolerated failure is 0 and you should ensure both servers
are up & running for the availability of ZooKeeper service. I could see one
advantage of this approach is, you have a backup 'dataDir'. Administrator can
use this if one is lost.

-Rakesh