What version of the c client are you using - multi-threaded or single
threaded? If multi-threaded then the library (incl pthreads) will take care
of handling the periodic heartbeats for you. If single threaded then you
might be starving the event processing - which includes the heartbeat loop.
See the THREADED sections of cli.c for an example.

Patrick