Hi Kathryn,

Every time that execute method is invoked, it will get children. From your
description, in the case the predecessor node is deleted and stat is null, the
next call will not contain that predecessor znode. Consequently, it won't
happen indefinitely. Makes sense?

There is actually an old issue about WriteLock that you may want to have a look:

<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-645>

Thanks,
-Flavio