On 3/2/2018 6:54 AM, Jim Keeney wrote:
Thanks for jumping in on the ZK side as well.

I will take a hard look at my config files but I checked and I do not have
any one file over 1MB. The combined files (10 indexes) is 2.2MB.

I am using micros for the nodes which are very limited in memory.

I'm not currently using a java.env file so I guess I'm using the default
values for the JVM which is typically xmx512M if I remember correctly.

Could it be just a memory issue?

Usually Java on Linux has a default heap size of about 4GB.  But it would be highly dependent on the amount of memory actually present on the machine.  Just yesterday, I saw Java report a 6GB default heap size, on a machine with 24GB of memory. Information I can find about AWS instance types says that a micro instance has 1GB of memory.  So the default heap size is probably quite small.

Even in small server situations, I would strongly recommend that anytime you have a java commandline, you define -Xmx for the max heap, and -Xms should probably be set as well, to the same value as -Xmx.  That way you're not relying on defaults, you're absolutely sure what the heap size is.

For ZK servers handling 2 megabytes of config data plus the rest of a small SolrCloud install, something like 256MB or 512MB of heap would probably be plenty.  ZK holds a copy of its entire database in memory.  Small SolrCloud installs won't put much of a load on ZK.  A micro instance should be plenty for ZK when the software using it is Solr, as long as that's the only thing it's running.

Thanks,
Shawn