Hi,

Good question, I took a look and only other options I can see is
that TxnLogToolkit also outputs the number of txns in the file (see
https://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.5.4-beta/zookeeperAdmin.html#Recovery+-+TxnLogToolkit
)

Looking at org.apache.zookeeper.server.persistence.TxnLogToolkit.java it
counts it in the dump() function, which is not the most efficient way
either. But what you could do is add a method that only counts the txns.
Or, well, create a Jira for this so someone will implement it :)

But let's wait if anyone knows a better way?

By the way, 4 letter commands will be deprecated soon, so keep that in mind.

Regards,
Norbert