In my opinion we should not fallback to something else if the client wants
a CONTAINER node, which is a new feature in 3.5.
This makes ZooKeeper behave kind of unreliable. Client wants a CONTAINER
node, and gets a PERSISTENT one. How should client handle this?

For me, throwing an error seems more reasonable. And this doesn't brake
backward compatibleness, as if you upgrade your client, you are still able
to do the things you did with previous version. Just not the new feature
stuff.

Regards,
Norbert