Hello,

I think I found the issue...

One can't use the same username for clients and quorums. I configured all of them to be "zookeeper", but in the server-part of the jaas.conf it should probably be more like "kafka" as it's Kafka which authenticates to the zookeeper in that case and zookeepers are using the qorum-part to authenticate to each other. Correct? If that's correct the exception message is completely wrong. It can find the file, it can read the file and it even finds the server-part, but the server-part itself has wrong configuration.

At least with the hanged username in the server-part I got a new exception:

2020-02-17 19:28:17,994 [myid:1] - ERROR [main:ZooKeeperServerMain@83] - Unexpected exception, exiting abnormally java.io.IOException: No snapshot found, but there are log entries. Something is broken!

Which was probably caused by non-cleaned folders of some previous deployments. So I added the "snapshot.trust.empty=true" to the config to have it start and rebuild the snapshot. And now my zookeeper is running just fine! :)

@Mate: as I copied the jaas.conf from your repo is that the exact file you used for testing? Because changing the "user_zookeeper" to "user_kafka" in the server-part fixed it.

My next task now is to get Kafka authenticated to zookeeper and get ACLs working. Will be fun :) And I should probably create a ticket to get the jaas.conf-error message fixed!?

Best regards

Sebastian