I will check you trick ad soon as possible. I am sorry, this is a very busy
week for me and do not have enough cycles. But I think that we should
address this problem in order to ease the adoption of the new code and APIs.

Did you evaluate to eventually rollback the breaking changes?

Another alternative, if we want to let users use both the old and the new
APIs is to simply rename all of the packages and start a brand new system.
This approach was done in Apache Commons and IIRC it will be done with
Netty5. We also did it with the new Apache Bookkeeper API.

Pros:
No need to preserve compatibility, we are free to clean up all of the tech
debt.
The switch to Curator 5 will be explicit opted in

Cons:
Cherry picks won't be straightforward.

Enrico