JConsole has an MBeans tab for viewing the JMX beans for the app it
attaches to, and you can drill down to the topic and then see what
consumers are attached to it.  You might take a look there to see if there
are any consumers attached that you're not aware of, or any durable
subscriptions for consumers who are offline.  You can also look
clientConnectors->openwire->clientId at the root of your broker and see
what clients have connected (I think it shows prior connections and current
ones together) to see who's connected to that backup host...