The functionality you're contemplating for the broker plugin seems pretty
far off from the standard ActiveMQ approach, since it involves knowing the
state of a message across the full network of brokers rather than allowing
each broker to operate as a stand-alone island that only needs to know
about itself and how to pass message to its neighbors.  So I'd be very
hesitant to go down the path you're suggesting.

And I suspect you won't have to; the functionality you're looking to use is
how ActiveMQ should work, so I think you'll find that either there's a bug
in ActiveMQ or a bug in your configuration.  Or maybe there's a minor
missing feature or one that's not been applied to all the transports it
should have; either way, I suspect the actual fix will turn out to be much
simpler than the plugin you're contemplating.

We'll see what shakes out as you simplify your configuration to remove the
less-common configuration options.  Eventually we should get to a
configuration that delivers the messages correctly but maybe doesn't have
all the configuration options enabled that you want to use, and then it's a
question of why it stops working with the less-common configuration options
you're using.

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 8:16 AM, Andreas Gies <andr...@wayofquality.de>
wrote:

> [...]
>>>   * within a network of brokers. The problem has been posted on the
>>> ActiveMQ mailing list on Oct. 18th 2014
>>>   * and was described as follows:
>>>   *
>>>   * Suppose you have a network of brokers consisting of two members
>>> discovering each other via multicast.
>>>   * The network bridge is set up using conduit subscriptions. Now assume
>>> that we have a durable subscriber
>>>   * named "S" that connects to the network of brokers using a failover
>>> uri
>>> pointing to both brokers.
>>>   *
>>>   * First, the subscriber connects to Broker A. It will consume all
>>> messages published to either Broker A or B.
>>>   * Now the subscriber disconnects and stays offline for a bit, then it
>>> reconnects to Broker B. Now it will pick
>>>   * up all messages that have been published while it was offline.
>>>   *
>>>   * Let's say then 10 messages are published. All is well as the
>>> subscriber
>>> consumes those messages.
>>>   * If the subscriber then disconnects and reconnects to Broker A, these
>>> 10
>>> messages will be consumed
>>>   * again by the reconnected subscriber.
>>>   *
>>>   * According to Tim Bain on Oct., 20th 2014 this indicates a bug rather
>>> than a missing feature in ActiveMQ
>>>   * and this Spec shall pinpoint the behavior.
>>>   * *
>>>   * The test is based on ActiveMQ 5.10
>>>   *
>>>   * Observations:
>>>   * -------------
>>>   * Depending on when the durable subscriber is known to the members of
>>> the
>>> NWOB, messages can be either left pending
>>>   * or delivered repeatedly (see the last 2 test cases). Message gaps can
>>> occur, if the DS has only connected
>>>   * to one broker so far. If the DS then disconnects and after a while
>>> reconnects to the other broker it wasn't
>>>   * connected to so far, it will not see the messages that have been
>>> produced while it was offline (it will see
>>>   * those messages after reconnecting to broker 1).
>>>   *
>>>   * Dupilcate delivery will happen if the DS was already connected to
>>> both
>>> brokers. From the broker's perspective
>>>   * it seems that those DS are handled as two distinct subscribers, so
>>> effectively all messages that are published
>>>   * will eventually be delivered to both subscribers.
>>>   */
>>>
>>> I know that Virtual Topics could solve the problem - however we in the
>>> middleware team are not in control of that
>>> particular client application and therefor we cannot change the consumer
>>> from a DS to a queue consumer.
>>>
>>> Can you confirm that we are indeed looking at a missing feature or a bug
>>> in ActiveMQ 5.10 ? - Otherwise i would
>>> need to get my thinking cap back on and see how I could solve the problem

>>> https://github.com/woq-blended/blended/blob/master/
>>> blended-testing/blended-testing-activemq/src/test/