The failover transport will retry forever by default, so a failure to
connect will never result in control being returned to your code.  If you
want that, you can set the maxReconnectAttempts URI option to return
control after a certain number of successive failures.  See
http://activemq.apache.org/failover-transport-reference.html for details.

I don't know what exactly the timeout URI option does (the description on
the wiki doesn't make that clear to me), but it doesn't sound to me like
what you're looking for.

Tim