Hi Tim,

I said indexing was the point of contention after seeing that Thread
"ActiveMQ NIO Worker 169" was still working on
org.apache.activemq.store.kahadb.MessageDatabase.updateIndex even after >
3.5 minutes.

These are full thread dumps. I guess the lock (read lock) is held by threads
"ActiveMQ NIO Worker 169" and "ActiveMQ NIO Worker 171". Since the read lock
is already held by other threads, the thread "ActiveMQ Broker[localhost]
Scheduler" is waiting to acquire write lock. Since there is already a thread
waiting to acquire write lock, other threads which are waiting to acquire
read lock are still waiting.

What could be the reason for updateIndex not completing even after 3.5
minutes?