I've never tried configuring a broker with a static networkConnector
connected to itself (why would I, it's a useless configuration), but it
wouldn't surprise me if the broker rejected that self-connection, which
could result in the EOFException you saw.  It's also possible that there's
something wrong with your SSL configuration as you suggested; there's no
good way in a mailing list discussion to check whether your truststore
trusts your keystore and the certs are being presented properly since
that's all about the binary content and you shouldn't be sharing that
publicly, but you could test the SSL configuration by setting up two
brokers (in a test environment) that each have their JMS_X_SITE_CSV_URL
pointed at each other.  If that configuration gives you EOFExceptions, then
switch to using the tcp transport and see what happens.  If you get errors
with the ssl transport but not the tcp one, there's a good chance it's
something wrong with your keys.

As far as the current configuration (where you have a broker whose only
networkConnection is a static:ssl: one to itself), it's not a useful
configuration (having a networkConnector to yourself serves no purpose),
and you proved early on in this discussion that removing it removes the
WARN log line that you're concerned about.  So I disagree with your
statement that "I feel the configuration still seems fine."  Either switch
to something that serves the purpose you said you're trying to achieve
(like the discovery: transport instead of the static: transport, or like
listing your cross-site servers if you're going to continue using the
static: transport) or take it out and eliminate the WARN line.

Tim