Which version are you using? Normally on start up the broker should
not need to replay the entire journal if the index already exists.  On
startup the broker tries to determine the last in doubt position from
the index and only replay from that point.  With HA I would expect
this to work the same way as the shared directory contains the index
and journal so I'm wondering if something was detected wrong with the
index to trigger the full replay.

It might help to turn on debug or trace logging to see what if there
is some more information on why there is a full journal replay.  The
two classes to enable logging on would be
org.apache.activemq.store.kahadb.MessageDatabase and
org.apache.activemq.store.kahadb.KahaDBStore