I observed closely for last 3 days, but couldn't identify anything wrong with
CPU, memory, Network I/O, Disk I/O, etc
a) CPU usage on this EC2 instance (has 8 vCPUs) has never crossed 35%
b) Memory usage varies between 1GB to 18 GB (Total available is 32 GB and
Xmx assigned for this broker process is 26 GB)
c) Thread dumps don't show any blocked threads
d) Logs (enabled at INFO level) don't show any errors, except for occasional
"Failed to remove inactive destination. Destination still has an active
subscription". Is there any log to indicate producer flow control has kicked
in?

In this morning run, there was 1 full GC (we use CMS GC) before the issue
popped up and another full GC just 1 second after the issue. The first full
GC took about 8.17 secs. Does this indicate any trouble?

I enabled JMX to check the no of messages pending. The JMX console just
shows message statistics for each destination; However in my setup, there
are thousands of topics created and thousands of durable subscribers. The
JMX console couldn't even load all of them. So couldn't get how many
messages were pending. Is there any other way to get total no of messages
pending delivery?

Is our usage of ActiveMQ following any of the anti-patterns? We create
thousands of connections, hundreds of thousands of topics and durable
subscribers to exchange MQTT messages. Is this usage not recommended?