What's the retained flag?

So to be sure I'm understanding correctly: you publish a message to the
queue (or are you publishing to a topic?), you do not consume it, and you
can see the message in that queue on the web console, but it's not in the
database table. Is that all correct? When you click on the message in the
web console, what is the value of the Persistence attribute?

Tim