Artemis supports all the same clients plus an extra one.  It supports the
Core protocol (The Artemis native protocol), OpenWire(which is the ActiveMQ
5.x native protocol), AMQP, MQTT, and STOMP.  So any of your existing
clients will work with the broker as long as you have enabled the protocol
support.   So if you want to use existing ActiveMQ clients then you would
need to enable OpenWire.

Take a look at
https://activemq.apache.org/artemis/docs/2.1.0/protocols-interoperability.html
for information on enabling protocols.  Also, I just noticed on that
documentation page under the OpenWire section that it says "Apache ActiveMQ
Artemis JMS client" which should say "Apache ActiveMQ 5.x JMS client".
I'll fix that in the documentation.