I'm not understanding. Are you saying that after those durable
subscriptions were deleted, there were no more unconsumed messages and so
the journal files should have been deleted but were not?

If I've understood correctly,
http://activemq.apache.org/why-do-kahadb-log-files-remain-after-cleanup.html
will let you determine why the files are being kept. (Is there anything in
the DLQ?)

Tim