> But I don't understand why a client should decide on how a message should
be treated on the server.

Because "large" message support as originally conceived for the "core"
protocol (the foundational protocol used by Artemis) involves (at least in
part) clients *streaming* messages in chunks to the broker. The broker has
no influence on how clients send messages to the broker - whether that be
all at once or broken up into chunks which are more manageable from a
memory perspective. Therefore, it's up to the client to decide that.

Non-core protocols (e.g. AMQP) have limited "large" message support.

Justin