in case its helpful ill add that when i look at the move from 2.1.0 to
2.2.0 https://github.com/apache/activemq-artemis/compare/2.1.0...2.2.0 i
can go to "Files changed", find AddressSettings.java and on line 724 (on
the 2.2.0 side) i can see the broker trying to decode a policyStr and it
can allow for null however my data is not encoded with "null" as a value
because my data does not have the property or any more values so a  "Failure
in initialisation: java.lang.NegativeArraySizeException" is thrown. i look
at the source for 2.6.2 and it doesnt look (at a quick glance) to be
handled differently however i understand that it could be handled
elsewhere. i havent yet tested an upgrade from 2.1.0 to 2.6.x because
startup times were so long it made trying it difficult. different problem.

just as an FYI. should i add some of this to the ticket instead of this
thread?