i tried 2.6.2 this morning to see if that was an improvement from 2.5.0 i
tried a few months ago. unfortunately there was not. it may have failed
much faster than 2.5.0 i dont recall the timing specifics but the error is
the same

11:15:50,853 ERROR [org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server] AMQ224000:
Failure in initialisation: java.lang.NegativeArraySizeException
at
org.apache.activemq.artemis.api.core.SimpleString.readSimpleString(SimpleString.java:182)
[artemis-commons-2.6.2.jar:2.6.2]
at
org.apache.activemq.artemis.api.core.SimpleString.readSimpleString(SimpleString.java:171)
[artemis-commons-2.6.2.jar:2.6.2]
at
org.apache.activemq.artemis.api.core.SimpleString.readNullableSimpleString(SimpleString.java:158)
[artemis-commons-2.6.2.jar:2.6.2]
at
org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.buffers.impl.ChannelBufferWrapper.readNullableSimpleString(ChannelBufferWrapper.java:69)
[artemis-commons-2.6.2.jar:2.6.2]
at
org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.settings.impl.AddressSettings.decode(AddressSettings.java:736)
[artemis-server-2.6.2.jar:2.6.2]
at
org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.persistence.config.PersistedAddressSetting.decode(PersistedAddressSetting.java:95)
[artemis-server-2.6.2.jar:2.6.2]
at
org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.persistence.impl.journal.AbstractJournalStorageManager.newAddressEncoding(AbstractJournalStorageManager.java:1925)
[artemis-server-2.6.2.jar:2.6.2]
at
org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.persistence.impl.journal.AbstractJournalStorageManager.loadBindingJournal(AbstractJournalStorageManager.java:1466)
[artemis-server-2.6.2.jar:2.6.2]
at
org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server.impl.ActiveMQServerImpl.loadJournals(ActiveMQServerImpl.java:2601)
[artemis-server-2.6.2.jar:2.6.2]
at
org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server.impl.ActiveMQServerImpl.initialisePart2(ActiveMQServerImpl.java:2376)
[artemis-server-2.6.2.jar:2.6.2]
at
org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server.impl.SharedNothingLiveActivation.run(SharedNothingLiveActivation.java:116)
[artemis-server-2.6.2.jar:2.6.2]
at
org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server.impl.ActiveMQServerImpl.internalStart(ActiveMQServerImpl.java:535)
[artemis-server-2.6.2.jar:2.6.2]
at
org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server.impl.ActiveMQServerImpl.start(ActiveMQServerImpl.java:474)
[artemis-server-2.6.2.jar:2.6.2]
at
org.apache.activemq.artemis.integration.FileBroker.start(FileBroker.java:111)
[artemis-cli-2.6.2.jar:2.6.2]
at org.apache.activemq.artemis.cli.commands.Run.execute(Run.java:82)
[artemis-cli-2.6.2.jar:2.6.2]
at
org.apache.activemq.artemis.cli.Artemis.internalExecute(Artemis.java:149)
[artemis-cli-2.6.2.jar:2.6.2]
at org.apache.activemq.artemis.cli.Artemis.execute(Artemis.java:97)
[artemis-cli-2.6.2.jar:2.6.2]
at org.apache.activemq.artemis.cli.Artemis.execute(Artemis.java:124)
[artemis-cli-2.6.2.jar:2.6.2]
[rt.jar:1.8.0_171]
at
[rt.jar:1.8.0_171]
at
[rt.jar:1.8.0_171]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) [rt.jar:1.8.0_171]
at org.apache.activemq.artemis.boot.Artemis.execute(Artemis.java:129)
[artemis-boot.jar:2.6.2]
at org.apache.activemq.artemis.boot.Artemis.main(Artemis.java:49)
[artemis-boot.jar:2.6.2]

right there in the AddressSettings.decode

I am going to start looking into a journal export and then a journal import
and see what happens there.
are programmatically created addresses / queues stored in the data export
along with the address and security settings?