20k messages and 30k topics is quite a bit so I'm not surprised the CPU
usage is very high.  The reason the CPU is high after stopping the
publishing is probably because you have a backlog on the broker that the
consumers need to work off.  You might also have a lot of messages being
processed for the DLQ.

If you think the issue is related specifically to the redelivery plugin
then your best bet is to hook up a profiler to the broker and to see where
the hot spot is that is using the most CPU in the plugin.  You can also
trying using a thread dump to figure it out.