Do you have a significant number of unconsumed persistent messages?
Especially on many queues/topics? That would produce an increase in the
amount of RAM relative to an empty broker, because the broker will pull a
certain number of the messages into memory to be ready to dispatch them to
consumers without a disk read.

Also, I've never used embedded Camel routes, so I'm not sure what to expect
from them in terms of memory usage.

One other technique you could use is to capture a CPU sample via JVisualVM
during the time period when the memory usage is increasing, to determine
which broker activities are likely causing the increase.

Tim