It was a design choice for at least the following reasons (there may be
more reasons I'm not recalling at the moment). Every node in a cluster has
its own set of messages. If a client is working with a particular message
or group of messages then when the master fails and the client fails over
to the backup then the backup will have those same messages. The backup
will also have the same persistent metadata for things like XA transaction
state as well as all the same queues. Another node in the cluster certainly
won't have the same messages or transaction meta-data and it may not even
have the same queues (there is no strict requirement for cluster nodes to
be completely symmetric) so the idea of "transparent fail-over" doesn't
make a lot of sense.

Justin