I understand, but that is not something I can implement so that would mean I
am stuck with the old broker solution for all environments running these
specific application setups.

Further testing shows that the "initialRedeliveryDelay" does not really work
by the way, messages still get stuck in the "Delivering" state indefinitely,
regardless of timeout duration. With this setting the lockup releases after
broker restart though, but a small number of messages still get stuck, in
the order of 5-20 messages.

Do you have any thoughts on what might be happening otherwise?
I think the key points of the issue are:
1. Messages in XA transactions get stuck indefinitely in "Delivering state"
after a broker failover using the openwire protocol (at least for days, no
timeout occurs that I can see, but maybe they roll back just to get stuck
again).
2. Hawtio reports these queues have additional consumers (with IDs belonging
to the clients that hold the messages in Delivering) connected to them, but
their corresponding sessions point to a non-existent connectionID.