If you are talking about /amq/admin/topics.jsp when you say console it's
all zeroes.

org.apache.activemq:type=Broker,brokerName=activemq.it.su.se,destinationType=Topic,destinationName=exampletopic
does not change even if I press Refresh in JVisualVM. Same in JConsole
(not that it makes any difference, it's all JMX).

How are these metrics updated? Nothing related to advisory messages
right?

BR,
- Simon