Max,

The app failure does not depend on the gateway. The gateway is a daemon to
launch Apex apps on YARN and to get metrics for the Apex apps from YARN and
AM for each app, so it won't affect app execution once YARN accepts the
application. For some reason the AM itself is failing. I cannot figure out
the cause from the logs. It is possible that the app packages for these
apps have hadoop dependencies packaged, it is one of the most common causes
for AM failure.

Regards,
Ashwin.

--