Claire,

There shouldn't be a need to run the pipeline like this since the Apex
runner already has the support to launch hadoop with the required
dependencies.

Can you please confirm that you are able to run the basic word count
example as shown here:

https://beam.apache.org/documentation/runners/apex/

Thanks,
Thomas